General Discussion

Post off-topic threads here.
Nibiko
Site Admin

General Discussion

Post by Nibiko » Sun May 28, 2017 6:56 am

I'm having a persimmon for the first time. They look similar to tomatoes, but they're very different on the inside.
Native: Punjabi, English
Studying: Japanese

Nibiko
Site Admin

Re: General Discussion

Post by Nibiko » Wed May 31, 2017 2:50 am

I just finished porting all my PHP tools to JavaScript :O Here are a couple of messages that I sent to a friend explaining why:
I translated between one computer language to another. I made some tools a few years ago in PHP. PHP is a language that runs on the server, rather than in the browser, meaning that it takes an internet request every time that you want to run the tool. However, JavaScript runs in the browser, meaning that it is instant and open-source. My purpose in translating the PHP tools to JavaScript was consolidating each one into pure JavaScript. This makes the tools able to run independent of the server. I also find JavaScript to be a better language than PHP from a technical standpoint.
Yeah. The tools are useless but do some cool things. They're available on my website under the "tools" section. At a rate of one tool a day, it took four days for the translation. Being in JavaScript makes the tools more portable, which should make it easier to migrate to WordPress, which I'm planning to do, and it helps leave a legacy since they're open-source xD I must say that it was a good exercise that cemented my confidence in computer languages. You know how they say you don't understand one language until you understand two? It looks like that applies to computer languages too xD

Nibiko
Site Admin

Post by Nibiko » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Ugh! Just debugging PDO and it took me a while to determine that the error was being caused by the string concatenation in the second argument to bindParam, because it's passed by reference, whereas with bindValue, it's not passed by reference.

Nibiko
Site Admin

Post by Nibiko » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:52 pm

I decided to race two cars today in a school area when it was the end of school, and I ended up running faster than them. After I initiated that, I felt an adrenaline rush. I was running at my maximum, I couldn't stand walking and my default pace was running, and I didn't get tired, but when I did, I recovered pretty quickly. Wow, so that's what an adrenaline rush is like.

Nibiko
Site Admin

Post by Nibiko » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:23 am

I was confused on how WordPress handled header HTML tags before, but now I just realised that the post title is H1 only on the post page itself. So, I should use H2.

I was wondering why WordPress was showing my posts in full in a list of them: http://www.thewordcracker.com/advanced- ... y-excerpt/

Nibiko
Site Admin

Post by Nibiko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 am

I had been kindly given a score of lemons by a neighbour and I finished having them raw (including the skin) last month. Although I had to throw some out. The weird thing is that it seems like either fungus grows really slowly or really quickly on lemons, but might be because I was keeping them in the room, whereas fungus grows really slowly on the ginger in the fridge.

I changed up my room so that my sitting position gets more light. My dad changed the verandah into a room so now only one area of my room gets light.

I wonder if it's a quantum-mechanical coincidence that the etymologically-unrelated Hindu concept of प्रमाण (p'ramaan.a, "means of knowledge") sounds like परमाणु (paramaan.u, "atom"), since quantum particles can only be observed indirectly.

I started writing over the pre-printed margin in my book. I can't be bothered squishing my text into a small space >:( And to make matters worse, they punched holes in the book to make it a binder book, ugh!